Thursday, November 27, 2014

How Many Hours OF Housework A Day Should We Do?

I watched an old movie made in 1930s or so.  A doctor stated that most of his patients could be healed by doing 6 hours of housework a day.  His patients were rich women who laid around all day and had maids. When the movie was made they did not have dishwashers, washing machines,dryers, vacuum cleaners, so I can see how we have it easier than they did and it might not take us 6 hours. Last week I made applesauce and apple jelly. I stared washing the jars, put the water on and sterilized the jars, got the apples ready, and while cooking, I would wash dishes and clean areas I needed. The jelly took the longest it seemed. I was getting tired. With the jars, the apples, the dishes, and then cooking supper, I was in the kitchen for 8 hours. The next day, I really wondered about all this gardening, canning, dehydrating and is it worth it.

I finished the asparagus bed today. The bed is covered with leaves and some old hay.  I raked and hoed weeds.  I spread some compost. It was only about a 10 x 10 area. I also cleaned up the spot where the big rhubarb plant is. I put some compost down and I will cover that area with some old straw tomorrow. I worked outside for 2 hours and staggered in and got the fire going. I started washing dishes and by the time I was done, I was getting another attitude about all this housework.


I washed clothes and I sure am glad I did not have to boil a kettle of water to wash clothes. I do not think that all that work made women slim and trim. When I was a little girl, two women lived across the street. They were sisters. They were old. They wore clothes that looked like from an old western show.  It was the 1950s, so they were born in the late 1800s.  They had an outhouse. They had an old wringer washer on the porch and hung clothes on the line. They had a big garden and I would watch them bent over going down the rows working and neither one of these women were slim.  There is more to it that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment