Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dehydrating Potatoes

The dehydrator arrived yesterday and today was the day for dehydrating.

 It comes with a manual and a dehydrating book. I am watching videos on different sites that really explain how to dehydrate and there is a lot of information, which makes this very easy. I think having the right equipment for slicing the food will be very important and make it where you have the time to actually do this.


We bought the 9-drawer model. I really have no place to put this.  It is sitting on the kitchen table.  It may stay there forever...


The first thing that we dehydrated was shredded potatoes for hash browns.  We boiled 10 pounds of potatoes with the peelings. They were still a little firm, but I think we did let them boil a little too long. 

We shredded the potatoes with a cheese grater and put them on the trays.  It did not take long at all.


The instructions say to dehydrate at 125 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 to 8 hours. At 6 hours they were looking good. I let them go another hour and took them out, except there was enough for 2 trays that had some not quite done. I put those 2 trays in for another hour. I am going to let them cool overnight and I have jars washed that I want to make sure they are good and dry before I put the potatoes in. I will have the finished pictures of the potatoes in the jars tomorrow. I am trying to decide what to dehydrate next.

This was very easy. I am planning on just storing the potatoes in canning jars with the lids and bands on, but not sealed. I have read if they are dry that they should last a couple of years at least. I still have not made up my mind on exactly what I plan on doing.  I really do not want to use the mylar bags or a FoodSaver, but I may change my mind on this with more research.

2 comments:

  1. looks really good you are going to talk me into getting one yet they look real good in the jars

    ReplyDelete