Monday, March 3, 2014

Waiting For The Snow To Melt

Not a lot has been going on. We have more snow, but today it is in the 30s and starting to melt. We have warmer temperatures in the forecast.

I started some more onion seed today. I planted Brunswick and Jaune Paille Des Vertus. The other onions are growing and I just thought I might not have enough. LOL.
The second planting of onions


The first planting of onions
I started some Red Acre cabbage seed and some Snowball cauliflower and Violetta Italia cauliflower, which is purple. I am not happy with the cabbage and bok-choy that I have already started.  I think they are getting too leggy, but I always do think that.  I am going to start some Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage tomorrow.  The sweet potato vines are still growing.


We take Jacob tomorrow for testing that we go to each year. It is the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and the homeschool group go together on this. It starts in the third grade. Jacob has been going every year since the third grade and he is in the ninth grade this year. Rachel went from third through the twelfth grade. I am going to take some yarn and crochet needles and work on something. I am not sure right now. I did make another dishcloth, this was a round one.  I changed colors for the first time.  I made a lot of mistakes in it. I may try to make another one like it - only without the mistakes. It was suppose to look like an egg. I think I will use different colors or maybe just a solid color. I did not see the mistakes in the yellow until after I had started on the white or I would have fixed the worst part of it.


The sauerkraut is done and tastes pretty good. I am going to do it a different way the next time. We made raspberry kefir for the next quart. I will get some more raw milk tomorrow when I am in town and start another half gallon of kefir.

I made an order for seeds today. I ordered Jade bush beans, Rocdor beans, which are a yellow bush bean, and Cobra pole beans, Cocozelle heirloom squash, and Muncher cucumbers.  I am pretty much going by my list I made on the blog back in January.  A few things are different. I decided to grow celery for the first time. I am not sure about potatoes yet, and I ordered Tall Telephone Pea seed and I already have Little Marvel, so I will be planting more peas than I had thought and cauliflower, I don't think that was on the list. The Muncher cucumbers are not on the list, but I grew them last year and they were really good. I have a few different peppers on a couple of other seed orders I am thinking of trying. I will make up my mind Saturday and order the last of the seeds.

I am going to start some winter sowing tomorrow. I am going to plant things in a milk jug and put cups in a clear box and put plastic over the top because I don't think I have the lids to the boxes, but these will be cold hardy things like spinach and some flowers. I am going to have to get a greenhouse one of these days soon so I can do this right. I have a hard time hardening plants and I do not have enough room for all that I do plant. We are going to finish the fence this year, so maybe next year I can plan on a greenhouse.

As for weight loss, I did not post my weight the last week of Feb. I did weigh and was down 0.8, but still up from my low. I have not been feeling well for a few days and just have not cared much about weighing. I can tell that if I want to lose weight that I will have to make major changes and when it is snowing and single digits outside, a salad just does not cut it. I did make chicken noodle soup. I ate that for supper, lunch the next day and supper that night, and still did not lose. I think that salt is part of the problem.  I will weigh Wednesday and see how it goes. Even the rabbits are tired of the snow.


Hot Shot


















2 comments:

  1. You are having a very busy end of winter! I think this will be the last of the cold weather and we will be able to look forward to spring! I am getting anxious to get outdoors as well. Love the photo of Hot Shot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot Shot thinks he is human. He tries to climb up in my arms. I am hoping it is the last of the cold weather. I am starting more plants. I am going to be ready this year! lol

    ReplyDelete