Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gardening Goings On

I can see some onions coming up in the greenhouse. I wrote this down in my gardening notebook. I went outside to check on the garlic, but that area of the garden is still covered in snow.  I looked at the raised beds where I planted spinach last fall to overwinter and I think I see some coming up in different places.  This will be really nice!  I have some Swiss chard that is coming back to life from what was leftover last year. 

I also found some of my sweet potatoes sprouting in the bowl.  I dug these up last year.  They are Beauregard sweet potatoes.  I have been back and forth whether I am going to spend the money to plant sweet potatoes this year.  With the price of them and the weather here, it is kind of iffy if you will get a crop of sweet potatoes worth the money and effort, but starting them from your own slips that you grew, well that is smart and frugal.  After we expand the garden next year(which Andy is not aware of yet), then I will make room for them, but since I have slips from these expensive Beauregard potatoes, I am going to try to get them to live until planting time, which is the first of June usually.  I could also just feed them to the rabbits.  They love them!  I have had them growing by the window for them in the past.  It looks like I will have quite a few of them from these slips, but they are very small, so I am not sure if I can keep them going until June.

Sweet potatoes last year.



I used to cut slips off of these sweet potatoes and give to the rabbits during the winter and they just keep growing and coming back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment