Saturday, February 8, 2014

Started Onion Seed Today

I am not sure if I am early or late, but I started some onion seed inside today.  These are seeds from last year and I did not have a lot.  I ordered some new seed and I will plant that when it gets here.  I started Ailsa Craig, Italian Red Torpedo and Red Globe.

I put the boxes in the greenhouse and turned lights on underneath them because our house gets cold at night. Our house is heated with wood and if the fire goes out at night then it is cold until the fire gets going again in the morning. The greenhouse has a plastic cover and I can put a blanket over it at night to help keep it warm. 

This greenhouse has 4 shelves and I can fit 3 trays on each shelf. I can start hundreds of seed this way. I attached plant lights to each shelf. It has worked pretty good for me, but I start having trouble when the plants need to be transplanted to bigger pots. I then run out of room, so I have to be careful when I start things. The onions will be able to go outside later under plastic. I put them out in the sun and then harden them off before planting in the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment