Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Eating Crow

The other day I wrote a post that I regretted. I rewrote it several times. I finally deleted it after someone was upset about it. I have been upset, mad, confused, and rethinking things for the last several days.  When I wrote that post I had forgotten something that I had decided to live by. I do not rule the world and I should not try to control how people think. I do have control over my life and whatever that involves. I think everybody does, but again, who am I to say if they do or don't.

In that post I was going on and on about making your yards pretty and blah, blah, blah. People know how they want their yards to look. I have dandelions and weeds. I think they are pretty and I do not use pesticides, but other people work hard to keep out every weed and they are happy with the way their yards look. I guess my point in all this is that I read a blog where a guest was posting that they liked the board they were visiting because it made her feel good. She quit going to a lot of Christian boards because she always went away feeling bad because they would have perfect kids all dressed perfect and usually even in homemade dresses and cute clothes, the house was perfect, the husband was perfect, the garden was perfect and not one weed. She herself could not post pictures of her garden because she was ashamed of her weeds and her life was not perfect, and she did not like being judged about what kind of Christian she was, so she would go away feeling depressed, and that is not how I want people to feel about my blog.

In my post I had bragged on my kids, church, yard, house and no telling what else, but I really do not find any reason to say things to not make my kids sound perfect, but I am their mother. My church, well, it is not perfect and my house and yard, oh my, no where near perfect. My blog started out how this year I was making improvements in my yard and home and trying to come to terms with living in a small house on a small lot in town. I am not sure I ever will like living in town, but I am trying to make the most of it. 

I made a comment about the Super Bowl and over the years I have become very anti-sports.  I have a lot of reasons, but I was reading a blog where a man was talking about Christians and how they judge people when people thank God for winning a ball game and other people say that God is not into sports, but this man said that we should all be thanking God for everything.  He said that there are little boys in cities and places who may not have a male role model or anybody in their family that prays and the only prayer or comment they hear about God or see something in a sport on television and who are we, or who am I to say anything about this.  I still do not like sports, for my own reasons, but I have rethought how severe I was in this and my holier than thou attitude about watching TV.  I have a lot of beliefs just like other people do.

I never wanted to have a blog about politics or religion, just happy things and helpful ideas. I may not talk about politics, but I wasted over an hour this morning reading about Benjamin Franklin and what he wanted to have on the Great Seal of the United States and I was going to post it on Facebook. I had not even had my coffee yet. I just sat there reading and almost plotting the next war against tyranny. I also had posted about my belief in vaccines, homeschooling, pesticide, GMO's in our food, raw milk, etc. I have my beliefs and I have lived these. I am not going to ever try to tell anybody they should or should not vaccinate their kids or homeschool them, and I am sure not going to tell you what to eat or drink. I think people are smart enough to figure these things out.

In my post that I deleted, I talked about real life experiences with TB in my family and other vaccine issues. I don't think they should be lightly dismissed, but again, there I go again. There are blogs and blogs with people fighting and arguing over all these types of subjects and nothing comes of it. I guess really that is why I do not like talking about our government, waving flags for sports events and things like that when it is all talk and no action when we are complaining about the laws or the president. The words Benjamin Franklin wanted to put on the seal were "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." I am afraid I believe that, but I am very confused about how much action if any we should take without God telling us to take action, and I believe in the Bible it says God is going to do all the fighting for us in the end. I have prayer that God will watch over us and protect us in this country and with our decisions and then again I get confused when there is no action. If you do not plant a seed in the ground you will not get a plant, but that is not to say you will starve. God can still take care of you.  I have thought about God feeding his people manna and I have heard the argument that you do not need to stock up on food in the endtimes because God will provide and I believe that, but also, I am not sure he will provide chocolate, so best to be prepared and if you want fresh cilantro, you probably will need to grow it and if you want yellow squash that is not gene-altered, you will probably have to grow that too, but a lot of people are okay with this and I am okay with you being okay with it.  I do not rule the world and I will try to remember that in my future posts.



2 comments:

  1. This is a good post. I think our blogs should be about what we want them to be about. They are OUR blogs afterall. :-) Differing opinions is how we learn. We either take on new ideas, or we are reaffirmed in our own beliefs; both of which are good. Some times I get weary when everything has to be rosy...life isn't like that. Don't eat crow. :-)

    I loved your ideas about your yard. I love my yard, too and hadn't thought about it like that. My birds are one of my most important things to me in spring and summer, and I try to do everything I can to protect them. I am going to plant more flowers for the bees. But I am also going to kill the weeds! ;-) My yard is far from perfect, but I sure wish it was. lol

    I also like the Ben Franklin quote. He was a wise man. Carry on!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad almost about my flowers. The flowers are bringing humming birds and Mister is EATING them! He used to hang out in the back and I got rid of the bird feeders because he was killing too many birds, so he moved to the front yard and Andy saw him a couple of times with a humming bird. I guess it is all nature and that is just what happens. I really miss my bird feeders. Rachel loves butterflies and he chases those too. I guess I am not depicting a rosy picture of my yard! lol

    ReplyDelete