Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lotion Bars

I have been reading about lotion bars and have seen pictures of them on Pinterest and they look so easy to make, so I decided to make some.  I never put lotion on because of the chemicals and strong smells, but sometimes I will use a non-scented type, but I do not like the way my skin feels.  My husband has really dry skin on his hands.  He wears lotion all the time.  The kind of job he has, he has to wash his hands a lot, and in cold weather that makes it worse. 
My daughter wears all kinds of lotion, perfume, makeup and I worry about her becoming sensitive to chemicals in the future like I did.  I used to love to wear perfume and use lotions.  Now, I cannot even have a box of laundry detergent sit in the house if it has a scent to it. Unscented lotion bars just seemed to be too good to pass up, so my daughter and I made a few today. 

What Is Needed:
Measuring cup.
Pan.
Spoon.  
Beeswax.
Olive oil.
Coconut oil.
A mold to pour the lotion into.

I had some beeswax that I had bought for my son's wood sealant. 
Wax melting
We melted the wax the same as we did with the wood sealant project.  After it melted I checked and there was 1/2 cup of melted wax. 
Wax and oil
The recipe I was following said to use equal parts of beeswax, coconut oil and olive, oil.  We poured 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of coconut oil into the hot wax and stirred until it was all blended and melted.  We poured it into a muffin pan.
We had enough to make 5. We took them out of the molds after waiting a few hours.

I put some on my hands and my hands feel really soft.  I am going to use some on my feet as well.  My husband said he likes the lotion bar.
He is going to take one to work and put next to the sink.  I would like to make white bars.  I am not sure why.  I guess they just look pretty to me.  I am not sure why these did not come out white. 
We will try several different recipes until I find the one we like the best.  I am sure my daughter wants to make scented lotion bars.  I would rather have square bars or smaller round ones.
I have decided to put some in metal tins and that way my husband can carry it to work and it might work for carrying one in your purse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment