Monday, January 13, 2014

She Could Make Perfect Pie Crust

My daughter commented a few weeks ago that she could not make her pie crust edges look pretty. I asked why and then I remembered my mother. My mother was blind.
Actually, both of my parents were blind. My mother went blind when she was around 23, so she had seen pie crust and knew what it looked like. She married my dad when she was 39. They raised 2 children. The more I think about it, it was pretty amazing. My parents were rebels. They were independent thinkers. We were raised on raw milk. We were never vaccinated. They were nonconformists and their family members were not happy at all. My parents had to go against their wishes and advice to even get married.

The pie crust conversation made me think about what people can and cannot do. I hate change, so I get stuck in routines that go nowhere after awhile. With 2014 getting ready to start, I started thinking about how I could change the garden, make changes in my health, and improve how I spend my time. My daughter and her friend were thinking of craft ideas to make and sell, and around this time, my brother told my son that it was time he should learn how to handle tools. Several years ago, I read an article about making buttons out of tree branches and I wanted to do it, but I never got around to it. I showed my son the article and he thought it was a great idea and he had some money saved, so my husband and I took him shopping for the tools he needed. He is now making buttons.


I told my children that if their grandmother who was blind could make pie crust then they could make craft items or anything else they wanted. I then thought about myself. I tell myself that I can not knit, sew, crochet, draw, paint or do anything crafty. I have knitting needles and crochet hooks, and I even took a knitting class when I was in school. We bought my daughter a sewing machine and I have never used it. When I first started homeschooling I had thought of making craft items to sell and I had a sewing machine. I made a quilt for my daughter's doll. My husband made a bed for her doll. I made sheets and a pillow for the bed. All this fell by the wayside after I started medical transcription.

I decided I am going to crochet and start using the sewing machine to make things for the house. My daughter's blog is about a lot of the same things that I am talking about, and we are planning to make our house homey and cute this year.
We do not watch TV in our house, but we have old movies and my husband loves to relax in the evening watching a movie, but I always feel I am wasting time because I am a medical transcriptionist and I make money on how much I produce, so I feel like I should be making money instead of relaxing and watching a movie, but now that I am learning to crochet, I feel productive and I really enjoy this.

Read my page about my parents and what they accomplished even though they were blind.

2 comments:

  1. I can crochet, but only in circles or should I say squares!
    Have made several blankets, but would love to make something different.
    Same with knitting, haven't done it in years. I know the stitch, unable to make anything though.
    The story of your blind Mum made me think.
    Best wishes
    Angela (Devon)UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make several crochet stitches and I just learned how to change colors. I am the same as you with knitting. I have found out I enjoy crochet. I am going through a video series on line and pretty soon I am going to make my first dish rag. Can't wait!

      Glad you came to visit.

      Mary

      Delete