Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Organizing My Seeds

I have read a few articles lately about people organizing their garden seeds. I have just started ordering mine and after trying to look through all my seeds and finding out how unorganized everything was, I decided to design a seed box for myself.
My old boxes of seeds. 

I went to the store and found a clear plastic box that was $1.50
and shaped the size of a shoebox. I took all my seeds out and put them in piles - Basil - Broccoli - Cabbage - Carrots, etc. I had some large size index cards and I cut them so that they would fit in the box and allow the lid to close.
Sorted the seeds on the table. 
I have some large sacks of beans and peas that would not fit in the box and I am planning on planting them this year, so I just put them in a box for now. I also have 2 cans of nitro packed seeds from 1998. I have used some of the in the last 2 years. I will try some of them again this year. They were buried in the garage and I forgot that I had them or I would have used them years ago. 
Seeds put in the box. 

I have some other seeds that I did not want in the box right now. I am not going to plant melons for awhile or winter squash. I also had a lot of older seeds that I do not want to use, so I put those in a coffee can for now.

I found a picture of some hollyhocks on my computer and put it in Word and added the words My Seed Box, printed it out, cut it out, and taped it to the lid. All done and so much nicer than what I had before.

MY SEED BOX

What is left. 

5 comments:

  1. What a cute kitty. lol looks neat maybe I need to do that. Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sure makes it nicer. I can just look at lettuce, take those out and pick what I want, put right back in. Before that, I would go through the whole box looking for what I wanted.

      Delete
  2. That's a good idea Mary. I'm sure I have enough containers already, so might try that. Not that I have many seeds at the moment. Will need to get some soon.
    Best wishes,
    Angela (Devon) UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your gardening this year and be sure to come by and let me know how your garden is growing as I write about mine.

      Mary

      Delete
  3. I'm going to do me a notebook too you convinced me I think a neat idea

    ReplyDelete