Friday, January 24, 2014

Planning The Garden

I have my seeds organized now and I have online seeds in shopping carts about ready to purchase.  I tried a lot of new seeds last year and some I will try again. I have some things that come back each year. I have rhubarb, asparagus, strawberries, a lot of different types of flowers and herbs.
Chives
I planted garlic in the fall, so I have that to look forward to. We have had raised beds and then built the soil up and moved the boxes to start raised beds in new areas. I have not decided exactly were I am going to put all of this, but so far this is what I will plant:

ONIONS:
Ailsa Craig - I grew last year and my favorite.
Jaune Paille Des Vertus  - something new.
I am looking for purple onions, and probably will pick up at the store here.

BOK-CHOY:
Extra Dwarf Pak Choy - I never planted bok-choy before, but I am going to plant a lot this year.

BEETS:
Detroit Dark Red - Have had good luck with.
Chioggia - I really like these.
Bull's Blood - Tried last year and did not grow very big, but in the fall were very, very sweet. I think it was where I planted them, so I am going to give these another try.

LETTUCE:
Red Romaine Lettuce. I really like and the rabbit's favorite.
Black Seeded Simpson - Always a good lettuce to have.
Bibb - It is okay. I have a lot of seed, so I will plant more.
Parris Island - I like this a lot.
Baby Romaine - I like this.
Buttercrunch - This might be my favorite.
Farmer's Market Blend - My daughter's favorite.

SPINACH:
Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach - Very good.

CUCUMBERS:
Ruby Wallace's Old Time White- I grew these last year and I really like them.
National Pickling - I have had good luck with these.
Straight Eight - I always have these and they might be my favorite.
Lemon Cucumbers - Everybody likes these and easy to grow.

BUSH BEANS:
Jade - The BEST bush bean.
Rocodor - Something new to try. I like yellow beans. These sound like they are easy to grow.

POLE BEANS:
Cobra - The BEST pole bean.
Trionfo Violetto- These are purple and they are nice beans.
Mountaineer White Half Runner - I planted these last year and they are good. I have a lot of seed left or I would not plant them again. I like the Cobra so much better.
Greenway Asparagus Bean - Saw these in the store last fall on sale and they look fun.

PEPPERS:
Bullnose pepper - Something new.
Golden California Wonder- Seem to grow the best for me.
Lipstick - I planted last year and have seed left, so I will give them another try.
Albino Bullnose - I tried last year and have seed left. They were small and the taste was okay.
Chili Garden Salsa - I have seed left from last year. They really did not taste any different than my other peppers.
I will probably pick up a couple of different pepper plants at the farmer's market to try.

BASIL:
Genovese.- Very good.
Dark Purple Opal - Very good.
Sweet Basil - Very good.
Cinnamon Basil - Very good and does smell like cinnamon.
Summerlong - Very good.

CILANTRO:
Slo-Bolt - Very good. I also have cilantro reseeding in several areas of the garden each year.

CARROTS:
Berlicum - I have these seeds from last year and I will go ahead and plant them. I never planted these before.

PARSLEY:
Giant of Italy. - Something new. I have never planted parsley before.

SQUASH:

Cocozella- My favorite zucchini.
Early Prolific Straightneck Very good.
Max's Gold - Very good. I have seed left from last year.
Yellow Crookneck My favorite yellow.
Dark Green Zucchini - Always good.
I will probably have a lot of volunteer squash plants and I usually let them grow.

SWISS CHARD:
Bright Lights - Good.
Fordhook Giant - Good.
Rhubarb Red - Good.

I can take or leave Swiss chard, but the rabbits like it.

TOMATOES:
Delicious Heirloom- New. My friend Ellie had great success with these last year.

Pink Brandywine - I have a package of free seeds and Brandywine is my favorite.
I tried a lot of early varieties last year and I did not really think they were anything special. I will pick up a few at the farmer's market. I started my tomatoes too early and then something went wrong and most of them died, so I started more and they were started a little bit late.

TURNIPS:
Purple Top White Globe - Planted last year and have seed left.

CHERRY TOMATOES:
Sungold - My son really likes these.
Super Sweet 100 - My favorite.
Sweet Baby Girl - I have seed left and they were good.
Risentraube - I have seed left and they were good.


KALE:
Italian Lacinato - My favorite.
Blue Dwarf Scotch - It might be the rabbit's favorite.
Russian Red - Seems to last longer in the cold weather.

MUSTARD:
Red Giant - The rabbit's like and I like.
Southern Giant Curled - I have seed left from last year.



CABBAGE:
Mammoth Megaton - Seed from last year.
Late Flat Dutch - Seed from last year.
Brunswick - Seed from last year.
Jersey Wakefield - New seed, but I have grown these from plants bought from the store. 
A few years ago, I was going to call myself the Cabbage Lady. I had great success with cabbage a few years and then the last 2 years I have had no luck at all. I either plant to late or slugs get them. I love cabbage, so I will give it another try.

EGGPLANT:

Casper.- New seed, but I had bought a white eggplant plant from the farmer's market and I really liked the taste.
 Black Beauty - Very good.
Long Purple - I have seed. They taste good, but I did not like the shape of them, but I had a ton of them, so I will probably grow again.
I will probably buy a different plant at the farmer's market to try if I do not see some purple eggplant seed in the store.

PEAS:
Little Marvel - I planted these last spring and the package said 2 feet tall. They grew over 3 feet tall and feel over. I did not have them supported. I bought more seed last year, but I never replanted, so I will plant this spring and have support for them this time.
Little Marvel Peas
I usually try broccoli and I have had good luck and bad, but I do not have enough room to really use for this and also winter squash. I am not going to plant pumpkins either this year because of room. I am still trying to decide about potatoes - what kind - where - how much - and sweet potatoes I may try again.

It is going to be a lot of work, but I can't wait to get started.

2 comments:

  1. Go job on your garden seeds now I know which ones I might try

    ReplyDelete