Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What Happened In The Garden 2013

Last year was a pretty good year. We did not have very good luck with the tomatoes. I started eggplant from seed and they did really well. 
This year Andy and I want to give the plants more room so that it will be easier to get the weeds out. We have too many weeds.
We have put a lot of horse manure and cow manure in the garden for several years. We are hoping that with the rabbit manure compost the weeds will not be as bad.

We had a lot of squash and green beans last year. I will be making my seed selections for next year soon. I have a lot of seed catalogs, but I like to look at the seeds on line, but the catalogs are sure pretty.
We had a huge squash plant that was a volunteer. It came up right in the middle of the garden and I let it grow. We would have probably had enough squash from just that one plant.

The rabbit manure compost was spread on the garden in the fall of 2012. I am not positive that it was what made things grow so big or not, but it will be interesting to find out. We have a blue climbing rose that had never bloomed until last year. I planted it in 2010. The next year I thought it died.
The kids were accidentally mowing it down.  In the spring of 2012 it was alive and I put a lot of compost on it and protected it from the lawnmower. I found out it only blooms on old wood, so I was waiting for it in 2013. It grew huge and it bloomed. I can't wait to see what it will do this year. A lot of the plants were extra large, so we are hoping that it was the rabbit manure compost.
The rhubarb was really nice. We had so much that we were letting the neighbor cut some too. The blackberries may be out of control. We usually do have a lot of pole beans, so I can't really say it was the compost.
I planted peas for the first time in years and the package said they were going to be about 2 feet tall and they were over 3. I was not planning on that and they fell over. We still had a lot of peas, but not what we should have had. I will be ready for them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment